Do I Break Down and Buy One?
I'm thinking about buying a BBT. I'm not sure if these OPKs are going to work or if it's just me. I haven't done the temp thing yet because...well, I'm afraid I'll make myself crazy. Maybe I will. But I'm making myself crazy as it is. I had *no* idea it would take this long in my cycle to get a positive OPK. I also I had no idea I'd be this obsessed with it. Now I want to get a positive very soon - so I can prove to myself that I can.
As if I have a choice in all of this.
So do I buy a BBT? Do I start temping?? I'm trying to also check my CM and relate it to my fertility signs but quite honestly, I don't think I'm getting any signs. I also don't know anything about temping. Sure, I've read (and joined even!) Fertility Friend.com but I guess I'm going to have to really read it all if I'm going to start temping. I'm sure I'll have to make a decision by my next CD1, especially since we're really trying then. So that gives me, oh, at least 2 more weeks.
Dh and I watched a CSI we had Tivoed last night. Two of the women in the episode were using BBTs. I wasn't in the room but DH asked me about it so I told him. This morning I was taking my temperature because I feel like I'm getting sick and he asked me if I was using a BBT. He's so cute. Maybe that was a sign.
I've also been thinking about a couple of other things. For one, jinxes. I don't believe in jinxes. Dh and I agreed not to make our first trip to the baby store until I was 12 weeks. We did it. Then we agreed not to register until the day we found out the sex of our baby. We did that too. We didn't buy any baby stuff, we didn't discuss names until after 12 weeks, we didn't tell family until Christmas Day (oddly, the day before our baby died). So, if we did all of that and we still lost our baby, then that means we couldn't have jinxed ourselves. If we were that careful, that aware of making sure we made it to our "safe" times and we still had something bad happen, then what else could we have done? I don't think much of anything that would have jinxed us.
Knock on wood.
The other thing is something that Vixanne mentioned on her blog. Her therapist told her to make her second (and current!) pregnancy different than her first. That makes sense to me, even though I hadn't really thought about it. I'm going to do that. I'm also wondering if I should do that for TTC this time. I'm already doing things differently and it is kind of nice.
1-I'm keeping a journal, but a different kind - notes about my cycle, ect. More technical stuff than I did last time. 2-I'm not on the same message boards as last time. 3-I'm using OPKs (okay, not so nice but when they work they'll be my new best friends. 4-I'm already taking prenatal vitamins (which, yes, were for my pregnancy but I feel good taking them knowing they're working ahead of time this time around) 5-I'm giving up caffeine (tomorrow, eeks!) and alcohol.
Oh, I'm going to buy a BBT so I should stop debating about it. Now I'm going to need help learning it. And not becoming obsessed. That, my friends, is the tricky part!

5 Comments:
I would recommend buying or checking out Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It is the bible for this stuff.
Taking your BBT is pretty easy. You just have to do it when you wake up in the morning at the same time every day (so you need to set your alarm if you wake up later on the weekends). You take it BEFORE you get out of bed in the morning. Your temp will generally be between 97-97.5 before you ovulate. After you ovulate it will jump up to generally between 97.5-98.0....BUT these are generalizations. My temperatures have been much higher since the loss and I don't know why. The point is that the temp goes up and stays up after ovulation...so you know you did indeed ovulate. HOWEVER, the OPKs really should work. The BBT will just tell you AFTER you ovulate, which doesn't help for TTC. I would also recommend a monitor. I liked mine. They are expensive, but you can used ones on ebay for pretty cheap.
6:14 AM
Okay...you probably knew all that stuff anyway. I'm just looking to obsess over other people's lives so I don't have to think about mine. :)
6:15 AM
Actually, thank you :) I didn't know of it and it helps to have all the information I can - at least for me since I'm a freak like that. I've heard great things about that book and plan to buy it.
Feel free to obsess all you want, I don't mind one bit! :)
Happy Beta day to you!
7:03 AM
Vixanne is right, that book is the bible for taking your BBT. For me, it has made me a little irritated because my body does not EXACTLY follow what the book says, but I guess we are all human. I, too, cannot really monitor my CM to see when I am fertile. And forget checking my cervix. That is not for me either. ;-)
Have a great day, I am off to work!
7:11 AM
Hi Sara!
Eeeewww...that is NOT for me either, in fact I've heard bad things about trying to actually reach your cervix, not good.
Thanks for the posting and I hope you get a BFP soon!
7:17 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home