I lost my first baby (boy) during my 21st week of pregnancy on 12/24/04. My husband and I both found the courage to try again. I hate the "again" part. We were blessed with a daughter on 4/26/06 and she's the center of our world. Here's the story of my long and emotional journey from losing the first child I loved and raising the second child I love.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Three Weeks, Not Really a Lifetime

Baby girl is three weeks old today. Wow. I can't believe it - it seems like a lifetime ago that I was counting the days until she arrived!! Hindsight really is everything.

Things are going very well. I think I've kicked the baby blues and my hormones are a little crazy but much, much better. Breastfeeding is much easier also, she's doing great with it and I'm really giving it my 110%. I'm pumping once or twice a day, but this week I'm hoping to get into a 2-3 time a day routine since I'm going back to work in 2 1/2 weeks. I'm paranoid I won't be making enough milk, but honestly, it's not the end of the world if I have to supplement with formula...and I'm only away from baby 2 or 3 days a week at the most. I give full time working moms SO much credit - I have an anxiety attack just thinking about going back to work, but I know it's going to be good for everyone. Baby will stay with one of her grandmas while I work and it'll be nice to start making a contribution to the working world again.

Other than being sleep deprived, I'm feeling pretty good these days. I still get very tired very easily and sometimes I'm a little sore, but I'm surprised at how good I'm feeling now. It's amazing really! I have my 6-week postpartum appt mid-June and hopefully I'll get the all clear then.

I have to say that I love being a mom!! I was really surprised at how hard the first weeks were (and are!) and I really, really wish I was a little more prepared for the challenges of breastfeeding but it's really a wonderful thing to have this little person look at me and smile. (I know, she's smiling as a reflex but it melts my heart everytime). The baby has brought dh and I closer, which I didn't think was possible!, and he's an amazing dad. Even my relationship with my parents and his parents, especially the moms, has really become something special. I just had no idea.

Mother's Day was exhausting but great. Brunch with in-laws, visit with parents, then friends coming and going all afternoon. Showing off baby is my new hobby! I was afraid to take her out by myself - talk about overwhelming! - but now I'm okay with it and it's actually fun. Getting out of the house makes my mood better and I feel like a person again!

I have no idea how to post pictures but if you give me your email address, I'll email you a picture of the baby since I have a bazzilion of them. I'm totally "that mom". And I love it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Josefina said...

Wow!!! I feel so so happy for you!!!!!!!!
I think to post pictures you just have to press on the "insert image" button, on the upper side where you write a post, it's like attaching a file in an email.
Anyway, if it doesn't serve, I'll give you my email (I feel a little paranoic about publishing my email!)

10:07 AM

 
Blogger Isabel said...

I'm glad that things are going well. And that you love being a Mom.

And I'm with you...I keep saying how I've become "that Mom". Fun times!!

2:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home